Skip to main content

Girl Scout Cookie Season



It's mid-December, which means in Southeastern Michigan Girl Scout cookie season is kicking off. My daughter has been a Girl Scout for 5 years. I was never a Girl Scout growing up, so I was hesitant at first how much would she really learn and how much cookie season is just about making money. I have to say I'm pleased to announce she really does learn a lot. Her people skills and money skills have improved.

Girl Scout cookie season with a first grader was rough. Kids that age take a long time to add up big totals at cookie booths. We want them doing the math, but we have to balance people's time and patience too. At that age we tended to add up the total but have the young girls count out the change from the money box. As second graders, the girls could add up totals a bit better though they were still using addition so depending on the size of the order they sometimes needed help. Third grade is when it really all clicked! Third graders have learned multiplication! They may be slow, but they make the connection that repeatedly adding is slower than if they memorize their 4's multiplication facts (since cookies are $4 a box). Fourth graders have the multiplication down so they work quicker and are able to do multiple steps such as calculating the total then subtracting that from the money paid to figure out what they owe.

Now as a fifth grader, my girl can pretty much run a Girl Scout cookie booth without my help. She can confidently calculate totals, compute change owed, and count out change. So yes, Girl Scouts use cookie season to fund their year of camping, crafts, and trips, but they really are involved in the work and learning along the way! If you're as inspired as I am with their hard work, think about supporting by buying some cookies or even just donating a box to military troops. Whether you support online or next time you pass a cookie booth at the grocery store, these girls would love it! Just remember to have patience and allow them time to work their math skills!

Comments

  1. I love the connection you made with selling cookies, and math skills. When I was a Girl Scout, the money exchange process was never placed on us as a troop, but rather our leaders. You are teaching your scouts skills and independence that they will need to be successful in the rest of their years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball

This winter both of my kids are playing basketball for the first time. Before this they've only played tball, softball, and soccer. Needless to say, my kids are used to runs and goals being 1 point each. Basketball has been a new challenge as baskets are two points and foul shots are 1 point. At least at this age they don't have three pointers. Kids don't make the best spectators, at least mine don't. Mine get bored watching each other play. I've taken this opportunity to engage them in discussions about the score. In our rec program, local teenagers are the score keepers managing the score board. After someone scores my kids start to predict what the score should change to before they have a chance to update the board. In between periods, I ask my kids how many baskets a team is ahead or how many baskets a team needs to catch up. They've gotten so good, they actually comment now without me leading the conversation with questions. Last week my son's team los

Movies and Popcorn

 It's December, the perfect time to curl up and watch your favorite holiday movie. In my house every Saturday from after Thanksgiving until Christmas we watch a holiday movie together. The kids picked Santa Paws for tomorrow night. We'll heat some hot cocoa and pop some popcorn. Before I hand over the popcorn though, I want to introduce my kids to the concept of volume. I saw a great PBS LearningMedia lesson that's perfect for popcorn! At the movie theater there's multiple sizes of popcorn. Everything from a short and fat cylinder to a skinny and tall one. Did you ever think about which actually holds more popcorn? Try setting out two bowls for popcorn. Grab a piece of regular printer paper that'll serve as our cylinder. First, roll the paper so that it forms a short sided, big bottom cylinder. Fill it with popcorn and put all that popcorn in a bowl. Then, unroll the paper and roll it instead so it forms a tall skinny cylinder. See if your kids can predict if this